Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sore Loser

One evening this week Neal suggested a game of Candy Land for the whole family. With aphasia, there's twice the fun. For some of the players.

On my turn, I pick a card.

"Red," I announce. I start to move my piece to the next yellow square. My boy starts to laugh.

"Mama, it's yellow!"  I know. I start to blush.

We go around the board. It's my turn. It's just a game.

"Purple red!" I say. Shrieks of laughter.

"You said 'purple red.' It's 'double red'!"

It's my turn again. Who wants to play checkers?

"Green," as I put my piece on the next yellow square. Howls of mirth.

I've always hated Candy Land.

5 comments:

  1. Grace, every Thursday morning I go to my local stroke recovery association office for something loosely called "Games Day". There are usually about 16 of us there and we play games and have lunch together. We dig out assorted games like cribbage and dominoes and a favorite is a board game called sequence. I'd say a third of us have short term memory problems and about a 1/4 are aphasic.

    Oh my goodness it gets so funny. You would fit right in! I wonder if anyone would play Candyland with me?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Grace,

    You're a wit. And I barely remember Candyland, though I'm with you... dumb game. Who cares if it's purple or yellow? Now, sugar-free versus bona-fide candy...THAT'S important.

    Can't wait to see you next weekend.
    Derin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Grace, just noticed your blog(courtesy facebook) and signed up for iit. This Candyland entry is a greeat one--the kids are taking this all with a sense of opportunistic mirth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter also loves to say, "Mama is sooo messy." Every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good friend of mine put together a weekly game of mah jongg with my neighbors for me because she was sure it would be good for recovering my cognitive skills after the stroke...Man, am I glad I didn't end up with aphasia! That game is HARD without aphasia.

    ReplyDelete